Rosacea 101: Understanding the Different Types of Rosacea

Rosacea is a chronic skin condition that primarily affects the face, causing redness, flushing, visible blood vessels, and sometimes small, pus-filled bumps or thickening of the skin. While there are different manifestations and subtypes of rosacea, here are the four main types:

1. Erythematotelangiectatic Rosacea

Erythematotelangiectatic rosacea is characterized by persistent facial redness (erythema) and visible blood vessels (telangiectasia). People with this type of rosacea often experience flushing and a sensation of heat or burning on their skin. The redness may come and go and can be exacerbated by triggers such as sunlight, heat, or certain foods.

2. Papulopustular Rosacea

Papulopustular rosacea is characterized by persistent redness, along with the development of small, acne-like bumps (papules) and pus-filled lesions (pustules) on the affected areas of the face. This type of rosacea is often referred to as acne rosacea, as it shares similarities with acne breakouts.

3. Phymatous Rosacea

Phymatous rosacea is characterized by thickening of the skin and enlargement of the sebaceous glands, primarily affecting the nose (rhinophyma). It can also occur on the chin, forehead, cheeks, and ears. In addition to thickening, the skin may become bumpy and develop a rough, irregular texture.

4. Ocular Rosacea

Ocular rosacea affects the eyes and is characterized by symptoms such as dryness, redness, burning or stinging sensation, itching, and sensitivity to light. It may also cause blurred vision, the feeling of having something in the eyes, or frequent eye infections. Ocular rosacea can occur alongside other types of rosacea or independently.

It’s important to note that these types of rosacea may coexist in individuals, and some people may experience a combination of symptoms from different subtypes. Rosacea can vary in severity and may require a personalized treatment approach. If you suspect you have rosacea or are experiencing persistent skin symptoms, it is advisable to consult a dermatologist for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate treatment.