Navigating the Types of Restraining Orders in Florida: A Guide for Safety

In Florida, there are several types of restraining orders, also known as injunctions for protection, that can be obtained for different situations. Here are some common types of restraining orders available in Florida:

1. Domestic Violence Injunction

A domestic violence injunction is designed to protect individuals who are victims of domestic violence or have reasonable fears of imminent violence. It can be obtained against a family or household member, including spouses, ex-spouses, cohabitants, and individuals who share a child in common.

2. Dating Violence Injunction

A dating violence injunction provides protection for individuals who are in or have been in a dating relationship and have experienced or fear violence. It applies to situations where there is a pattern of violence or the threat of violence in a romantic or intimate relationship.

3. Sexual Violence Injunction

A sexual violence injunction is available for individuals who have been victims of sexual violence or have a reasonable fear of becoming a victim. It applies to situations involving acts of sexual battery, sexual assault, or other sexually violent offenses.

4. Repeat Violence Injunction

A repeat violence injunction is applicable in situations involving two incidents of violence or stalking, with at least one incident occurring within the past six months. It provides protection against individuals who are not family or household members but have engaged in repeated acts of violence or stalking.

5. Stalking Injunction

A stalking injunction is specifically for cases involving stalking, where there is a repeated pattern of harassment, following, or threatening behavior that causes the victim to fear for their safety or the safety of others. It can be obtained against individuals who are not family or household members.

Each type of injunction has specific requirements and procedures that must be followed to obtain and enforce the order. It is important to consult with an attorney or contact your local courthouse or legal aid organization for guidance specific to your situation.